CHC Logo

Celtic Hammer Club Blog

SHOP NOW!

MY DESIGNS ARE OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE ON THESE SITES:

Friday, May 11, 2018

Banshee (bean sí)

The banshee (bean sí in Irish) is a ghoulish figure from ancient Celtic fairy lore. She is said to appear as an omen of death, wailing and crying outside of the home for a loved one in the house who is soon to die. She is a pretty terrifying figure. Legend has it that the banshee only wails for five different Irish families. I am a descendant of one of those five families, so I felt compelled to portray this wailing wench in all her spooky glory!

I used the Celtic knots and spirals to represent both the banshee's hair and ghostly, whispy lower limbs. Her body is meant to look kind of androgynous. I'm a fan of engraving style artwork, so I used lots of lines on her body to create some depth, but they also look like they could be scars or tattoos of some kind. Basically, I tried to make her look creepy. Hopefully, I achieved that through mixing the engraving style into this.

Initial sketch


Sketch continued

No comments:

Post a Comment